Cassette tapes are making a comeback, and Eminem and Kanye West are among the rappers leading the charge.
In 2017, there were 174,000 cassette albums copies sold, a 35 percent increase from 2016 when 129,000 were sold, according to Nielson Music. In a recently-released top 10 list of the biggest sellers in the United States, the big draw were the Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix mixtapes. In total, 22 percent of all cassette album sales last year were generated by Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 of the GOTG tape and also the film’s soundtrack. People were really digging the analog version of the Stranger Things Vol. 1 soundtrack, which falls in at No. 4
Holding it down for hip-hop, Em and ‘Ye appear in the top 10. The Detroit rapper sits at No. 5. People bought 3,000 cassettes of Shady’s The Eminem Show. West sits at No. 9, as he sold 2,000 copies of his Yeezus album.
The Hamilton Mixtape also made noise, falling in behind Em at No. 6, with 3,000 copies sold as well. The star-studded tape for the acclaimed stage play featured appearances from Nas, Chance The Rapper, Wiz Khalifa, The Roots, Bust Rhymes, Joell Ortiz, Dave East and more.
Check out the entire top 10 below.
Top 10 Selling Cassette Albums of 2017 in the U.S.
1. Soundtrack, Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2: Awesome Mix Vol. 2 (19,000)
2. Soundtrack, Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1 (15,000)
3. Soundtrack, Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Mix, Vol. 1 (5,000)
4. Soundtrack, Stranger Things, Volume One (3,000)
5. Eminem, The Eminem Show (3,000)
6. Various Artists, The Hamilton Mixtape (3,000)
7. Prince and the Revolution, Purple Rain (Soundtrack) (2,000)
8. Twenty One Pilots, Blurryface (2,000)
9. Kanye West, Yeezus (2,000)
10. Nirvana, Nevermind (2,000)