Netflix has ended its Emmy-nominated political drama ‘House of Cards’ at the conclusion of its upcoming sixth season after its lead actor Kevin Spacey was accused of sexual harassment by fellow actor Anthony Rapp.
On Sunday, Anthony Rapp in an interview with Buzzfeed News, said he was 14-years-old when actor Kevin Spacey made a sexual advance toward him. He said the advances happened after a party at Spacey’s apartment in 1986. He said
According to him, Spacey picked him up and put him on the bed, climbing on top of him. He said it was an attempt for Spacey to “seduce” him. “I was aware that he was trying to get with me sexually,” he adds.
“My stomach churns,” said Rapp. “I still to this day can’t wrap my head around so many aspects of it. It’s just deeply confusing to me.”
Reacting to the allegation, Spacey apologised to Anthony Rapp on Twitter, saying that it would have been over 30 years ago but he doesn’t remember the alleged encounter.
While dropping another bombshell, the Discovery actor and Broadway star announced he is gay. In his words: ‘ I have loved and had romantic encounters with men throughout my life, and I choose now to live as a gay man.’
In a statement on Monday, Media Rights Capital and Netflix, who produce House of Cards, responded to the allegations against Spacey, saying they were “deeply troubled” by the news.
“In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time,” the statement said.
But a Netflix spokesperson confirmed to Guardian Australia that the decision to end the show was made months earlier, and not in response to the allegations about Spacey surfacing
House of Cards which began in 2013, was nominated for 33 Emmy awards and eight Golden Globe awards, with Spacey and Wright winning best actor and actress Golden Globes for their performances